The 225-megawatt Shikalbaha power plant in Chittagong will run at full blast from next month, feeding an additional 75 megawatts (MW) of electricity to the national grid.

Located in Patiya Upazila near Karnaphuli river, the combined-cycle dual-fuel power plant is expected to partially reduce the electricity crunch in the commercially important greater Chittagong region.

The total number of power plants in the country currently stands at 111 with an aggregate generation capacity of 15,821 MWs. The government has a target to increase the power-generation capacity to 24,000 megawatts by 2021-the year when Bangladesh celebrates its golden jubilee.

Treatment Plant- 143 Mld Capacity and Pumping Head of 81 m Pipeline:

Installation of Conveynance pipeline of 4.0 km (1200 mm dia) Transmission from WTP to Nasirabad reservoir of 24.0 km of 1200mm DIP Transmission pipeline Nasirabad to Battali hill =6.0 km (1200mm to 1000mm) Distribution pipeline= 44.0 km (200mm dia to 600 mm dia) Nasirabad Reservoir (26000m3) , Battali Hill Reservoir (8500 m3), Improvement of khulshi Booster pump station.

Project Cost: 202 million US$

Source of Fund: JICA ODA Loan

According to the Bangladesh Power Development Board, Chandpur Office 90% works of the project have been completed. The project was inaugurated on April 25 in 2010 by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
Necessary gas will be supplied to the power plant from the Bakhrabad Gas field, Comilla soon.
The project will be constructed at a cost of Taka 1200 Crore, of which 55% will come from external sources and the rest 45% from the government resources.
This is one of the important power plants of the Bangladesh power development board.
Kailashtila gas field is located in the north-eastern part of Bangladesh which is about 12 Km southeast of Sylhet town, lies in Golapgonj Upazila under Sylhet district in Sylhet division. Its location is 24° 51' 13"N 92° 22' 47" E. This is a gas condensate field and produces a significant amount of condensate with gas. The Kailashtila gas field is one of the oldest gas fields in Bangladesh. It was discovered by Shell Oil Company in 1962. The Kailas Tila structure lies in the eastern marginal part of the Sylhet Trough and bounded by the Beanibazar structure in the east, Sylhet structure in the north and Fenchuganj structure in the south. Commercial gas production was first commenced in 1983 from KTL-1. Total estimated recoverable gas reserve of this field is 1335.6 Billion Cubic Feet(BCF) which was estimated by 3DSS.
SPI Company: Summit Meghnaghat Power Company Limited Type: Combined Cycle Gas Turbine Technology: Two Gas Turbines capable of operating on Dual Fuel (Liquid fuel & Natural Gas ) ,Two HRSG and One Steam Turbine Fuel: Natural Gas/HSD Gross Capacity: 324.854 MW in Liquid Fuel at Reference Condition and 337.416 MW Net at Natural Gas Installed Capacity: 337 MW (Gas), 315 MW (HSD) Address: Char Ramzan Sunaullah, Meghnaghat, Sonargaon, Narayanganj-1441 , Bangladesh Commercial Operation Date: Simple Cycle : 29 May, 2014 | Combined Cycle : 1 June, 2015
The project aims at enabling the GOB to meet the existing generation capacity deficit of over 1,500 MW in Bhola district. The project will supply to the national grid 1,420 GW to support and sustain economic growth. It will provide approx. 25,000 new connections to the domestic, commercial and industrial consumers and reduce load_shedding by about 2.4%.
Bangladesh Chemical Industries Corporation (BCIC), the largest sector corporation in the country under the Ministry of Industries (MOI) was established in 1976 vide 2nd amendment of P.O.27 upon merging of Bangladesh Paper and Board Corporation; Bangladesh Fertilizer, Chemical and Pharmaceutical Corporation and Bangladesh Tanneries Corporation.
Bangladesh’s only coal-fired power plant, in Dinajpur’s Barapukuria, has resumed production after a nearly three-month hiatus. The third unit, with a capacity to produce 275MW, resumed operation at 2:27am, on Friday, after receiving coal from Barapukuria, said the plant’s chief engineer Abdul Hakim Sarkar. “We have recorded the production of 157MW,” he said. “The power production will increase gradually.” The thermal power plant can generate 525MW.